Friday, May 3, 2013
139th Kentucky Derby Final Rankings
Mystified Ticket's Derby Hi-5(Final Rankings)
1) #3 Revolutionary 10-1
- This guy jumped to the top of my list after an improbable run from near last at the top of the stretch to win the Withers (G3) in his three-year-old debut back in February. Look for this colt to live up to his name on Saturday, give Borel his fourth winning Derby mount and Pletcher his second Derby win.
2) #5 Normandy Invasion 12-1
- Always in the mix at the end and figures to be there again Saturday as he will be charging late. Lost out by a total of one-length in the Remsen (G2) and Wood (G1) both at a 1 1/8 miles. Is the added distance what this colt needs to run them down at the wire for his first stakes score?
3) #16 Orb 7-2
- Tough to bet against this favorite out of Shug McGaughey's barn with the red-hot Joel Rosario aboard. Enters Derby on a four-race win streak.
4) #10 Palace Malace 20-1
- The of son Curlin is the sleeper not too many are talking about. Has hit the board in all but one of his six starts and should have no problem with the distance. Has yet to show his full potential, gets blinkers for the first time and is one that can't be overlooked. Keep in mind there is a chance of rain in Louisville on Saturday and he posted a triple digit BRIS Speed rating over a sloppy track in his three-year-old debut.
5) #14 Verrazano 4-1
- Tries to become only the eighth horse to leave the Derby undefeated and also has the curse of Apollo hanging over his head if you believe in that stuff. Enters race 4 for 4 and posted triple digit BRIS Speed ratings twice. Tough to dismiss.
Don't Count Out...
#2 Oxbow 30-1
- No excuses for wide trips here. Has an inside post and will look to be right up on the lead. This guy supposedly can run all day and with a good break from the gate he might be there in the end to fill out some exotics.
#12 Itsmyluckyday 15-1
- Posted top BRIS Speed rating of any of the three-year-olds. Must be able to rebound from Florida Derby (G1) loss, take to the Churchill track and get the distance.
#8 Goldencents 5-1
- Winner of the Santa Anita Derby must control his speed if he wants any chance to be there at the end. Looms dangerous if you think he can go 1 1/4 mile and build off his last win.
#9 Overanalyze 15-1
- Winner of the Arkansas Derby is flying under the radar but must improve figures off his last two performances if he is to compete with this group.
#18 Frac Daddy 50-1
- Broke his maiden by 9 3/4 lengths and lost out by a neck in the KY Jockey Club (G2) in his two starts over the Churchill track.